Subcontracted workers target POSCO, Hyundai Mobis and Hanwha Ocean as yellow envelope law takes effect

On March 10, 2026, the first day the so-called yellow envelope law took effect, unionized subcontracted workers targeted major firms like POSCO, Hyundai Mobis and Hanwha Ocean, demanding negotiations over wages and working conditions. Unions threatened strikes if talks are refused, while companies expressed caution within legal bounds.

The yellow envelope law, amendments to Articles 2 and 3 of the Trade Union and Labor Relations Adjustment Act, took effect on March 10, 2026, after a six-month grace period. The law expands the definition of an employer to include principal contractors exercising significant control over subcontracted workers' conditions, even without direct contracts, obligating them to negotiate.

On that day, unionized subcontracted workers from the Korean Metal Workers' Union protested outside POSCO Center in Seoul, urging the steelmaker to join collective bargaining. POSCO has faced Supreme Court rulings deeming its use of outsourced labor illegal at plants in Pohang, North Gyeongsang Province, and Gwangyang, South Jeolla Province. Workers demanded direct employment for regular tasks and an end to discrimination. A union representative said, “POSCO should apologize for the illegal use of subcontracted workers and take part in talks to convert them into full-time employees.”

The union of Hyundai IHL, a Hyundai Mobis subsidiary supplying car lamps, rallied outside the parent firm's Seoul headquarters, opposing the planned sale of the lamp business to France’s OPmobility announced earlier this year for business streamlining. Expressing job security concerns, they demanded direct wage talks. The union stated, “Hyundai Mobis is our real employer.”

Subcontracted workers at Hanwha Ocean delivered a letter after a march organized by the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions in downtown Seoul, demanding the shipbuilder join wage negotiations. They urged bonus payments to employees of Welliv, which runs cafeterias and amenities at the Geoje Island shipyard, after Hanwha Ocean excluded non-in-house subcontractors. The Welliv union said, “Our negotiations with Hanwha Ocean should mark the beginning of the revised Trade Union Act taking root.”

The Korean Confederation of Trade Unions (KCTU) has sent bargaining notices for nearly 140,000 subcontracted workers and plans protests next month if refused. A KCTU official told The Korea Times, “In line with the purpose of the law, the real employer must come forward... If the real employer still refuses, we are planning protests that will directly target them next month.” The Federation of Korean Trade Unions (FKTU) emphasized protecting over 7 million precarious workers, per Secretary-General Ryu Ki-seop.

The conglomerates remained cautious, stating they would hold talks within legal boundaries. An insider said, “Each company is trying to avoid being the first to sit down with subcontracted workers.” Business group Korea Enterprises Federation called for objective determinations by the government and labor commission. A day earlier, KG Steel absorbed two subsidiaries for managerial efficiency, seen as preempting disputes.

関連記事

Protesting Samsung workers outside factory amid strike fears
AIによって生成された画像

サムスン電子の労使交渉が決裂、ストライキの懸念が高まる

AIによるレポート AIによって生成された画像

サムスン電子と労働組合間の賃金交渉が水曜日に決裂し、5月21日から4万人以上の従業員が参加する大規模なストライキに発展する懸念が高まっている。

韓国の忠南地方労働委員会は、新労働法が施行されて以来初めて、元請企業の「使用者性」を認定した。この決定は、下請け労働組合からの交渉要求掲示をめぐる紛争に端を発している。いわゆる「黄色い封筒法」は、労働条件を実質的に支配する企業まで使用者の定義を拡大した。

AIによるレポート

サムスン電子と労働組合は、政府の仲裁にもかかわらず5月13日に賃金合意に至らず、5月21日から18日間にわたるストライキの可能性が高まった。労働組合は営業利益の15%に相当する業績連動賞与を要求している。

サムスン電子の労働組合は金曜日、来週にも経営陣との賃金交渉を再開すると発表した。この決定は、ボーナスを巡る初期交渉の決裂と、政府による斡旋要請の受諾を受けたもの。組合員は5月21日から18日間のゼネストを計画していた。

AIによるレポート

Unionized workers at Samsung Electronics will vote from Monday through March 18 on whether to launch an 18-day strike from May 21 to June 7. The vote comes amid controversy over warnings of disadvantages for those who do not participate. It would mark the second walkout since the company's founding.

サムスングループのバイオ医薬品受託開発製造(CDMO)部門であるサムスンバイオロジクスの労働組合員らは、2011年の設立以来初となる歴史的なストライキを2026年5月2日に2日目へと延長した。賃金などをめぐるこのストライキは、金曜日の開始以来、解決の兆しを見せていない。

AIによるレポート

Labor Minister Yassierli has issued Permenaker No. 7 of 2026 on Outsourcing Work. The rules restrict contract worker recruitment to specific sectors to protect employees. The regulation was released ahead of Labor Day on May 1, 2026.

 

 

 

このウェブサイトはCookieを使用します

サイトを改善するための分析にCookieを使用します。詳細については、プライバシーポリシーをお読みください。
拒否