American journalist shelly kittleson kidnapped in baghdad

Armed men abducted American journalist Shelly Kittleson from her car in Baghdad on March 31, as captured on CCTV footage. Iraqi security forces pursued the kidnappers, arresting one suspect linked to the Iran-backed militia Kataib Hezbollah after their vehicle overturned. The US State Department confirmed it had warned Kittleson of threats and is coordinating with the FBI for her release.

CCTV video shared by journalist Trey Yingst shows the moment armed men stopped Kittleson’s car in a Baghdad street, pulled her out, and fled with her. Iraqi security forces immediately gave chase but initially failed to intercept them, according to reports from the scene on March 31, 2026. Kittleson, a Rome-based freelancer who has reported for Al-Monitor, BBC, POLITICO, and others on Middle East conflicts including Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan, was in Baghdad covering Iraqi politics for Al-Monitor at the time. CNN national security analyst Alex Plitsas stated on X that Kataib Hezbollah, an Iranian-backed militia with ties to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, likely carried out the kidnapping. The Iraqi Ministry of Interior announced that forces launched an operation based on precise intelligence, tracking the kidnappers’ movements. “The pursuit resulted in the interception of a vehicle belonging to the kidnappers, which overturned as they attempted to escape. Security forces were able to arrest one of the suspects and seize one of the vehicles used in the crime,” the ministry said in a statement. Efforts continue to rescue Kittleson and apprehend remaining suspects. Assistant Secretary of State Dylan Johnson said on X that the State Department was aware of the kidnapping and had previously warned Kittleson of threats against her. “We will continue to coordinate with the FBI to ensure their release as quickly as possible,” he stated. Johnson noted that Iraqi authorities had taken into custody an individual with ties to Kataib Hezbollah believed involved. Iraq remains under a Level 4 US travel advisory, with Americans urged not to travel there, including members of the press. Press freedom groups voiced alarm. The Committee to Protect Journalists called on Iraqi authorities to locate and release Kittleson and hold those responsible accountable. Reporters Without Borders and Al-Monitor also demanded her swift return.

Verwandte Artikel

Dramatic photo of truck crashed into Michigan synagogue entrance, burning with security responding.
Bild generiert von KI

Lebanese-American suspect killed after ramming truck into Michigan synagogue

Von KI berichtet Bild generiert von KI

A Lebanese-born U.S. citizen rammed a truck into Temple Israel in West Bloomfield, Michigan, on March 12, 2026, in a targeted act of violence against the Jewish community, according to the FBI. Synagogue security neutralized the suspect, Ayman Mohamad Ghazali, who died inside the burning vehicle amid reports of explosives and a rifle. No congregants or 140 preschool students were harmed, though one guard was injured.

The family of German journalist Eva Maria Michelmann, missing in Syria for over two and a half months, demands that the Syrian transitional government disclose what it knows about the case. A new witness statement points to involvement by regime-aligned militias. Germany's Foreign Ministry confirms it is still working on the case.

Von KI berichtet

A spokesperson for Iran's armed forces has warned that promenades, resorts, and tourist centers globally will not be safe for American officials, military personnel, and civilians. The statement from Gen. Abolfazl Shekarchi follows recent Israeli strikes that killed several top Iranian leaders. U.S. officials have noted Iran's history of overseas plots against Americans.

Two suspects have been arrested following the shooting of a U.S. Park Police officer in Washington, D.C., on Monday evening. The officer, who was wounded in the shoulder, was airlifted to a hospital but has since been discharged. Authorities described the incident as a targeted ambush on an unmarked police vehicle.

Von KI berichtet

Jose Medina-Medina, a 25-year-old Venezuelan who entered the US illegally in May 2023, has been named by the Department of Homeland Security as the suspect in the fatal shooting of Loyola University Chicago student Sheridan Gorman. The 18-year-old was killed early Thursday morning while walking with friends near campus. Medina-Medina was previously released after crossing the border and had an outstanding warrant for shoplifting.

Ndiaga Diagne, a 53-year-old naturalized U.S. citizen from Senegal, carried out a shooting in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, killing two people and injuring 14 others. Authorities are investigating potential terrorism ties due to items found with the suspect, including an Iranian flag and a Quran. Diagne had a history of reckless driving in New York City that left a pedestrian with severe injuries in 2016.

Von KI berichtet

Three Norwegian-Iraqi brothers have been arrested in connection with the March 8, 2026, explosion at the US embassy in Oslo, on suspicion of terrorism. No injuries were reported, and police are probing possible state actor involvement amid links to Middle East tensions.

 

 

 

Diese Website verwendet Cookies

Wir verwenden Cookies für Analysen, um unsere Website zu verbessern. Lesen Sie unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie für weitere Informationen.
Ablehnen