South Korean Prime Minister Kim Min-seok meets U.S. President Donald Trump in the Oval Office to discuss North Korea dialogue and bilateral trade.
South Korean Prime Minister Kim Min-seok meets U.S. President Donald Trump in the Oval Office to discuss North Korea dialogue and bilateral trade.
Bild generiert von KI

South Korean PM discusses North Korea dialogue with Trump

Bild generiert von KI

South Korean Prime Minister Kim Min-seok met with U.S. President Donald Trump at the White House in Washington on March 13, 2026, for a 20-minute talk. Trump expressed positivity about resuming dialogue with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un but left the timing open. The two also discussed bilateral trade and investment issues.

South Korean Prime Minister Kim Min-seok held talks with U.S. President Donald Trump at the White House in Washington on March 13, 2026, local time. The meeting came shortly after South Korea's parliament passed a special bill on Thursday committing to a $350 billion investment in the United States. Trump had previously voiced discomfort over the delay, threatening to raise tariffs from 15 percent to 25 percent.

During the 20-minute discussion, Trump showed interest in resuming dialogue with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. In a briefing, Kim said, "President Trump expressed it this way. He said, 'Meeting (Kim) is something good. But it could come during the period of my visit to China. It may not happen (during the visit) or could take place afterward.'" Trump asked Kim whether Kim Jong-un wants dialogue with the U.S. and showed a photo from their June 2019 Panmunjom meeting.

Kim told Trump that he is "the only leader" capable of addressing Korean Peninsula issues and suggested increasing contacts with North Korea. Trump directed his aides to consider steps related to U.S.-North Korea relations. Kim noted North Korea's recent rhetoric, from "no reason not to meet" the U.S. to indicating interest in normalizing ties.

On Thursday, Kim met Vice President JD Vance and U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer to discuss Section 301 trade investigations into 16 economies, including South Korea. Greer said South Korea could be in a more advantageous position than others. The talks fueled speculation about Trump reengaging North Korea during his upcoming China trip from late March to early April.

Verwandte Artikel

Illustrative handshake between Trump and Kim Jong-un against White House backdrop, symbolizing openness to precondition-free dialogue.
Bild generiert von KI

White House says Trump remains open to dialogue with Kim without preconditions

Von KI berichtet Bild generiert von KI

The White House stated on Thursday that U.S. President Donald Trump remains open to dialogue with North Korea without any preconditions. This comes after North Korean leader Kim Jong-un expressed willingness to talk if the U.S. drops its "hostile" policy during a recent key party congress. Both sides highlighted three historic summits during Trump's first term that stabilized the Korean Peninsula.

Former President Moon Jae-in has said U.S. President Donald Trump's planned visit to China could provide fresh momentum for peace on the Korean Peninsula. In a keynote speech at a U.S. think tank in Los Angeles, he called on Washington and Pyongyang to resume stalled talks.

Von KI berichtet

South Korea's ambassador to the US stated that Seoul is closely monitoring possibilities for renewed US-North Korea dialogue during President Donald Trump's upcoming China visit, considering global factors like ongoing wars and alliances.

Diese Website verwendet Cookies

Wir verwenden Cookies für Analysen, um unsere Website zu verbessern. Lesen Sie unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie für weitere Informationen.
Ablehnen