Former Valve writer criticizes Epic Games layoffs

Chet Faliszek, a prolific former writer at Valve, has publicly criticized Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney over recent layoffs of more than 1,000 staff. Faliszek questioned why employees should work hard at the company, pointing to the absence of shareholder pressure and the shutdown of several Fortnite modes. He contrasted Epic's approach with Valve's emphasis on employee agency.

Chet Faliszek, known for his work on Valve titles including Half-Life, spoke out on TikTok against Epic Games' decision to cut over 1,000 jobs, announced earlier this week amid a downturn in Fortnite engagement. One developer described the layoffs as 'a brutal day' that left them 'absolutely devastated' (PC Gamer). Epic is also shutting down Fortnite modes including Rocket Racing, Ballistic, and Festival Battle stage, Faliszek noted. 'It's not like they're a publicly traded company. It's not like there's some need to hit the stock market thing. This is Tim Sweeney. This is Tim,' he said. Faliszek highlighted that the 1,000 layoffs exceed Valve's entire staff size and accused Sweeney of shifting focus from making games to maximizing profits from Fortnite. 'Gabe's better at that than you,' he remarked, referring to Valve co-founder Gabe Newell. Faliszek praised Valve for granting developers agency and ownership, which he said fostered dedication and retention of staff from projects like Half-Life. 'I worked my ass off at Valve, and I cared about the things I made... To be clear, I could retire, I worked my ass off at Valve, and I could retire today,' he added. In contrast, he criticized Epic and Electronic Arts for abrupt layoffs, citing EA's treatment after Battlefield 6 outperformed Call of Duty. Faliszek lamented the loss of Epic's veteran staff and referenced Sweeney's purchase of Bandcamp alongside V-bucks price hikes. 'I sure as hell wouldn't go work at a place that I didn't think respected me and wouldn't reward that,' he concluded.

Mga Kaugnay na Artikulo

Somber image of an empty Epic Games office with declining Fortnite charts on screens, symbolizing over 1,000 layoffs due to engagement downturn.
Larawang ginawa ng AI

Epic Games lays off over 1,000 employees due to Fortnite downturn

Iniulat ng AI Larawang ginawa ng AI

Epic Games announced layoffs affecting more than 1,000 employees on March 24, citing a downturn in Fortnite engagement that has led to spending exceeding revenue. CEO Tim Sweeney expressed regret in a blog post, noting the cuts along with over $500 million in other cost savings will stabilize the company. Affected staff will receive severance packages including at least four months of base pay and extended healthcare.

In the aftermath of Epic Games' March 24 layoffs affecting over 1,000 employees—many from Fortnite teams—developers have voiced worries about the battle royale game's future. CEO Tim Sweeney called on remaining staff to deliver fresh content while eyeing a shift to Unreal Engine 6, but reactions and backlash underscore the challenges ahead.

Iniulat ng AI

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney publicly apologized and pledged to resolve insurance issues for Mike Prinke, a veteran programmer laid off in mass cuts with terminal brain cancer. The response followed a viral Facebook post by Prinke's wife, Jenni Griffin, detailing their family's hardships after the March 24 layoffs affecting over 1,000 employees.

The A.V. Club has eliminated its full-time video games coverage team as part of a shift to its core strengths in movies and television. The layoffs include longtime editor Garrett Martin and associate editor Elijah Gonzalez. The outlet will maintain some games content but without dedicated staff.

Iniulat ng AI

Several developers from Warner Bros. Montréal have announced on LinkedIn that they have been laid off, with most finishing on Friday, 13th March. No formal confirmation from the company has been issued yet. The reports come amid ongoing struggles in Warner Bros.' games division.

Epic Games announced the removal of three lesser-played Fortnite modes amid efforts to cut costs. Rocket Racing will end in October 2026, while Ballistic and Festival Battle Stage shut down on April 16. The decision follows layoffs of over 1,000 employees earlier this week.

Iniulat ng AI

Following Troy Baker's announcement of talks to launch his own game studio, Abubakar Salim cautioned him on X about the industry's challenges. The Surgent Studios founder called it a 'ruthless space,' sparking light-hearted industry reactions amid ongoing studio struggles.

 

 

 

Gumagamit ng cookies ang website na ito

Gumagamit kami ng cookies para sa analytics upang mapabuti ang aming site. Basahin ang aming patakaran sa privacy para sa higit pang impormasyon.
Tanggihan