Sabalenka warns Dubai director over withdrawal criticism

World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka criticized Dubai Tennis Championships director Salah Tahlak for his comments on her and Iga Swiatek's withdrawals, hinting she may skip the event in future. She described his remarks as excessive during a press conference in Miami. The exchange highlights tensions over the WTA schedule and player welfare.

Aryna Sabalenka responded sharply to Dubai tournament director Salah Tahlak's criticism of her withdrawal from the Dubai Tennis Championships last month. Tahlak had questioned the reasons for her and Iga Swiatek's late pullouts and called for harsher punishments, including potential ranking point deductions. In her pre-tournament press conference in Miami on March 17, 2026, Sabalenka said, “I don’t think he showed himself in the best way possible.” She added, “For me, it’s actually so sad to see that the tournament directors are not protecting us as a player. They just are about their (sales), their tournament, and that is it. I’m not sure if I ever want to go there after his comment. For me, it’s too much.” Sabalenka withdrew due to a hip issue, a decision that allowed her to win the Indian Wells title against Elena Rybakina. Upon announcing her Dubai withdrawal, she noted, “I have such a special connection with the tournament, the fans and the city. Unfortunately, I am not feeling 100 per cent. But I hope to be back next year.” Naomi Osaka and Madison Keys also withdrew from the event. Sabalenka highlighted scheduling pressures: “We have these little gaps in the schedule where I can just reset, recharge... I feel like scheduling is going crazy.” Support came from others, including Andy Roddick, who questioned deducting ranking points, and Coco Gauff, who said, “Do I think players should lose points? Honestly, I don’t.” Under WTA rules, top players face fines and ranking penalties for missing mandatory events.

Artigos relacionados

Empty Dubai Open tennis court illustration showing walkover results and crossed-out player banners amid withdrawals.
Imagem gerada por IA

Dubai Open plagued by wave of player withdrawals

Reportado por IA Imagem gerada por IA

The Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships has been disrupted by numerous withdrawals and retirements, starting with top seeds Aryna Sabalenka and Iga Swiatek. Additional players, including Daria Kasatkina and Sara Bejlek, have pulled out due to injuries, allowing Mirra Andreeva and Belinda Bencic to advance via walkovers. The situation has sparked debate over the WTA schedule's demands.

The WTA Dubai Open 2026 has faced significant disruptions with around 26 players withdrawing due to injuries, illness, and fatigue. The tight schedule between the Doha Open and Dubai, with less than 24 hours between the Doha final on February 14 and Dubai's opening rounds on February 15, has drawn criticism from top players. Tournament officials have called for stricter penalties on late pullouts.

Reportado por IA

World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka has withdrawn from the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart, scheduled for April 13 to 19. She cited an injury suffered after her Miami Open victory over Coco Gauff. In an Instagram post, Sabalenka expressed disappointment at missing the WTA 500 event.

Paula Badosa was forced to retire from her second-round match against Elina Svitolina at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships due to a leg injury. The Spaniard led early in the first set but lost momentum, allowing Svitolina to win 6-4 before Badosa withdrew in tears. This marks another setback in Badosa's challenging 2026 season plagued by injuries.

Reportado por IA

Former Serena Williams coach Rennae Stubbs has cast doubt on Aryna Sabalenka’s prospects at the upcoming French Open due to a lower-back injury. Sabalenka suffered an early exit at the Italian Open after a quarterfinal loss in Madrid and a withdrawal from Stuttgart. With just over a week until Roland Garros begins on May 24, the World No. 1 faces a challenging recovery.

Sloane Stephens has pulled out of the Merida Open for personal reasons, days after announcing her divorce from Jozy Altidore. The withdrawal adds to a wave of absences at the WTA 500 event in Mexico, following similar pullouts in Dubai. Paula Badosa and several other players have also cited injuries or illness as reasons for skipping the tournament.

Reportado por IA

Jessica Pegula and Madison Keys offered measured responses to reports that the WTA Finals will not renew its contract with Saudi Arabia after 2026. Pegula said she had heard some details but noted no firm plans exist yet. Keys praised Charlotte as a potential host city.

quarta-feira, 13 de maio de 2026, 12:05h

Tennis stars voice boycott threats over grand slam prize money

segunda-feira, 11 de maio de 2026, 21:44h

Former Roland Garros director criticizes Sabalenka over boycott threats

segunda-feira, 11 de maio de 2026, 06:36h

Simon Jordan labels Sabalenka and Sinner boycott stance imbecile

sábado, 09 de maio de 2026, 12:12h

Aryna Sabalenka loses to Sorana Cîrstea at Italian Open

domingo, 29 de março de 2026, 00:24h

Aryna Sabalenka defends Miami Open title over Coco Gauff

quinta-feira, 12 de março de 2026, 10:30h

Sabalenka defeats Mboko amid extreme heat at Indian Wells, warns crowd to stay hydrated

quarta-feira, 04 de março de 2026, 07:51h

Elena Rybakina voices frustration over WTA council exclusion

sábado, 21 de fevereiro de 2026, 02:30h

WTA rankings adjust after Dubai championships progress

quinta-feira, 19 de fevereiro de 2026, 18:52h

Elina Svitolina advances to Dubai semifinals after comeback win

quinta-feira, 19 de fevereiro de 2026, 10:34h

Elena Rybakina retires from Dubai match due to fatigue

 

 

 

Este site usa cookies

Usamos cookies para análise para melhorar nosso site. Leia nossa política de privacidade para mais informações.
Recusar