Attorney urges criminal prosecution in Enyobeni tavern inquest

The legal representative for families in the Enyobeni inquest has requested that the deaths of 21 young people be referred for criminal prosecution. Attorney Vuyisile Magqabi made the submission in closing remarks at the KuGompo City Regional Court in Mdantsane on May 18. He argued that tavern owners Siyakhagela and Vuyokazi Ndevu along with former bouncer Thembisa Diko failed to protect patrons.

Magqabi told the court that the owners did not ensure safety at their establishment in June 2022. He described claims by one owner that parents were responsible for the children as inhumane because the tavern had invited the young patrons to an event.

The attorney also pointed to failures by Buffalo City municipality, the police and the Eastern Cape liquor board in enforcing compliance. He said the owners locked the premises despite desperate pleas from patrons during a panic that led to suffocation with little ventilation or first aid.

The inquest at the Eastern Cape court is examining liability for the tragedy. Magqabi submitted that the matter should now proceed to criminal prosecution to address the wrongs committed.

Makala yanayohusiana

Illustration of NPA prosecutors announcing charges in the Life Esidimeni tragedy case, with grieving families present, symbolizing long-awaited accountability.
Picha iliyoundwa na AI

NPA to prosecute Life Esidimeni officials after nearly a decade

Imeripotiwa na AI Picha iliyoundwa na AI

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has announced criminal prosecutions against individuals implicated in the Life Esidimeni tragedy, where at least 141 mental healthcare users died in 2015 and 2016. The patients had been transferred from licensed facilities to unregistered and ill-equipped NGOs. Families and activists hail the decision as a vital step toward accountability.

An advocate has argued that the Eastern Cape Liquor Board and the owners of Enyobeni Tavern should face criminal charges over the deaths of 21 young people in Scenery Park. The call came during closing arguments in an inquest at the Regional Court in Mdantsane. The inquest was postponed to 10 July for a ruling.

Imeripotiwa na AI

Security strategist Andy Mashaile urges accountability for former KwaZulu-Natal Hawks head Johan Booysen over alleged killings by the Cato Manor Violent Crime Unit. The unit faces accusations of murdering members of the KwaMaphumulo Taxi Association between 2008 and 2012. These claims emerged during the Nkabinde Enquiry into prosecutor Andrew Chauke's conduct.

The trial within a trial for six men accused of the mass murder of 18 people in Lusikisiki has been adjourned until Wednesday due to noisy weather conditions in the courtroom. A new witness, police officer Zonwabele Mpofana, testified via video link about arresting two of the accused. Mpofana denied claims of assault during the arrests.

Imeripotiwa na AI

Four members of the Maswanganyi family who died in a crash on the N1 highway last week were buried in Xikundu, Limpopo, on Friday. Hundreds of mourners and officials attended the service at Mayeke Primary School. One child survived and is receiving treatment.

The trial of pig farmer Zachariah Olivier, accused of murdering two women, continued at the High Court in Polokwane. Lead investigator Captain Phaladi Makola testified that Olivier wished to confess to the killings. The case involves the deaths of Maria Makgato and Kudzai Ndlovu in August 2024.

Imeripotiwa na AI

The Supreme Court has upheld the acquittal of a son and daughter-in-law in the fire death case of an elderly couple, sharply criticizing flaws in the investigation. The court stated that cases based on public perception or personal biases endanger the innocent and let perpetrators go free.

Jumatatu, 18. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 22:31:53

Accused denies charges in killing of Madlanga commission witness

Jumatatu, 18. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 16:01:45

Elderly Eastern Cape woman killed by mob over witchcraft allegations

Jumatano, 6. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 21:18:51

Thembisa residents protest unsafe food at spaza shops

Jumanne, 5. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 23:24:53

Parents of Bouwer van Niekerk welcome suspect's arrest in murder case

Jumamosi, 25. Mwezi wa nne 2026, 09:24:20

Postmortem reveals severe injuries in murdered Nairobi lawyer Tom Ouya Imbukwa

Jumatatu, 20. Mwezi wa nne 2026, 18:16:40

Gardee family calls for Bheki Cele to testify at Madlanga Commission

Jumapili, 29. Mwezi wa tatu 2026, 12:35:17

Education ministry orders inquiry into death of 3-year-old pupil

Jumatano, 18. Mwezi wa tatu 2026, 10:29:47

‘Cat’ Matlala’s lawyer accuses state of not disclosing evidence

Jumatatu, 23. Mwezi wa pili 2026, 04:05:25

Commission probes Sibiya's ties to tender kingpin Matlala

Ijumaa, 20. Mwezi wa pili 2026, 17:39:28

Steve Biko inquest adjourned to March in Gqeberha

 

 

 

Tovuti hii inatumia vidakuzi

Tunatumia vidakuzi kwa uchambuzi ili kuboresha tovuti yetu. Soma sera ya faragha yetu kwa maelezo zaidi.
Kataa