Senate ready to defend constitutionality of unprogrammed funds – Sotto

The Senate is prepared to defend the constitutionality of unprogrammed appropriations (UA) in the 2026 national budget, which has been challenged before the Supreme Court. The petition was filed by Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice and Mamamayang Liberal party-list Rep. Leila de Lima, seeking a temporary restraining order against its use. Senate President Vicente Sotto III expressed confidence that the court will uphold the budget.

On January 10, 2026, Senate President Vicente Sotto III stated that the Senate is ready to defend the constitutionality of unprogrammed appropriations (UA) in the 2026 national budget. The challenge stems from a petition filed by Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice and Mamamayang Liberal party-list Rep. Leila de Lima on Thursday, seeking to declare the P150.9 billion UA unconstitutional and obtain a temporary restraining order against its use.

In a Zoom press briefing, Sotto said, 'I’m very confident the SC will uphold the budget and favor it. Unprogrammed funds are constitutionally valid based on SC decisions.' He explained that Congress has a legal basis to allocate standby funds for priority projects when there are excess revenues or loans. Although the Senate had already cleaned its version of the budget, President Marcos further trimmed it by vetoing seven UA items, leaving only three.

Sotto dismissed the petition as 'nitpicking' and opposed Sen. Erwin Tulfo’s proposal to eliminate UA except for foreign-assisted projects, noting it would require converting them to programmed items amid an improved economy. He emphasized the need for standby funds for projects like the Metro Manila Subway and military modernization.

In the House, Lanao del Sur Rep. Zia Adiong, vice chairman of the appropriations committee, affirmed that UA is constitutional due to existing safeguards and differs from the PDAF or pork barrel struck down by the Supreme Court. 'Unprogrammed appropriations can only be implemented and can be utilized only for a specific purpose, subject to specific guidelines and criteria,' Adiong said.

Meanwhile, Erice hopes a favorable Supreme Court ruling will permanently remove UA, enhancing budget accountability and preventing misuse, as seen in flood control projects in late 2025. He told The STAR, 'In general terms, if the Supreme Court sides with us, the ruling will remove all unprogrammed funds this year and not only now, but also in the coming years.'

House deputy minority leader Akbayan Rep. Perci Cendaña also called for UA's removal due to its 'huge opportunity for misuse and abuse.' The Makabayan bloc has a pending 2024 petition against UA. The Department of Budget and Management noted that the 2026 UA is the lowest in seven years, compared to P807 billion in 2023.

相关文章

President Marcos Jr. announcing PUV aid, fuel subsidies, and barangay support to counter Middle East crisis impacts on fuel prices and livelihoods.
AI 生成的图像

马科斯宣布公共交通工具援助、燃油补贴及社区支持计划

由 AI 报道 AI 生成的图像

菲律宾总统小费迪南德·马科斯周四宣布,为应对中东局势紧张导致的油价上涨,政府将从4月15日起实施公共交通工具服务承包计划,并提供每升10比索的燃油补贴;同时,还将向全国4.2万个社区(barangay)提供80亿比索的援助资金。公共交通工具驾驶员每公里将获得40至100比索的额外收入,乘客在与火车及主要公交线路衔接的路线乘车时,将获得至少20%的票价优惠。

最高法院于4月7日举行了首次法庭辩论,审理有关挑战2024年、2025年和2026年国家预算中未纳入拨款的请愿书。受邀作为法庭之友的专家们对其合法性和影响表达了不同意见。一些人警告称这削弱了透明度,而另一些人则为其必要性进行了辩护。

由 AI 报道

继4月7日首次口头辩论后,最高法院于4月8日要求总检察长办公室提供有关非计划拨款拨付的详细记录,原因是外界对其在2024年至2026年预算中的滥用表示担忧。提交期限设定为4月14日。

Chile's Finance Ministry, under Jorge Quiroz, recommended reviewing 402 programs for the 2027 budget, with 37% in Education, Social Development, and Health. Officials insist no social rights will be cut, aiming for spending efficiency. Responses followed the leak of internal memos sparking criticism.

由 AI 报道

巴丹加斯省副省长Hermilando Mandanas和菲律宾市政议员联盟于3月3日向最高法院提交请愿书,要求执行国家税款分配给地方行政单位的自动释放,因为2026年报告存在1559亿比索缺口。

此网站使用 cookie

我们使用 cookie 进行分析以改进我们的网站。阅读我们的 隐私政策 以获取更多信息。
拒绝