Audi F1 drivers react to Jonathan Wheatley’s sudden team principal exit

One week after Jonathan Wheatley’s shock departure as Audi F1 team principal for personal reasons, drivers Nico Hulkenberg and Gabriel Bortoleto gave mixed reactions ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix. F1 TV’s Lawrence Barretto called it a 'shock decision' amid the team’s leadership vacuum, with Audi now eighth in constructors’ standings.

Following last week's announcement of Jonathan Wheatley’s immediate exit from his role as Audi F1 team principal—less than a year after joining during the Sauber transition—the focus has shifted to reactions and updates.

F1 TV presenter Lawrence Barretto described the move as a 'shock decision' on the Weekend Warm-Up show. 'Jonathan came into the team just under a year ago... they had this dual partnership with Mattia Binotto... now it's moved to a point where Mattia Binotto takes on those duties,' he said, noting the team is currently 'lacking' in day-to-day leadership.

Audi, now eighth in the constructors’ standings with two points from Gabriel Bortoleto’s ninth-place finish at the Australian Grand Prix, saw drivers respond ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix on Thursday. Bortoleto was unsurprised: 'When you have personal things to put in place, that's the priority,' reflecting internal team clarity. Hulkenberg, learning of it via his mother while simulating, reacted with 'Oh, sh*t.' He praised Wheatley as 'very involved' and 'hands-on' but downplayed the impact: 'A Formula 1 team is made of many people... with Mattia obviously still a leader.'

Mattia Binotto continues handling day-to-day operations as Audi implements senior management changes. Wheatley has been linked to Aston Martin’s team principal role.

مقالات ذات صلة

Illustration of Jonathan Wheatley leaving Audi F1 team for Aston Martin amid 2026 season struggles.
صورة مولدة بواسطة الذكاء الاصطناعي

Jonathan Wheatley departs Audi F1 team principal role for Aston Martin

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي صورة مولدة بواسطة الذكاء الاصطناعي

Audi F1 confirmed on 20 March the immediate departure of team principal Jonathan Wheatley after two races into the 2026 season, citing personal reasons. He is set to replace Adrian Newey at Aston Martin, with Mattia Binotto taking interim duties at the ninth-placed team amid ongoing struggles.

Mattia Binotto, Audi's head of F1 project, stated he will retain the team principal responsibilities previously held by Jonathan Wheatley, who departed ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix. Binotto said he needs trackside support to focus on factory work. Wheatley's exit for personal reasons surprised many in the team.

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي

Adrian Newey is set to step down from his role as Aston Martin Formula 1 team principal after a brief tenure to focus on technical matters. He will be replaced by Jonathan Wheatley, Audi's team principal of just one year, as the team grapples with its new Honda power unit's failures under 2026 regulations. This marks the fifth leadership change since Aston Martin entered F1 in 2021.

Audi's Formula 1 team faced a series of setbacks at the Miami Grand Prix sprint weekend, including two cars catching fire, a disqualification, and an early retirement. Nico Hülkenberg missed the sprint due to a pre-race fire, while Gabriel Bortoleto was disqualified post-race and later retired with his car ablaze. The incidents highlight ongoing reliability woes for the newcomer squad.

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي

Mark Webber has stepped back from his trackside support role for Oscar Piastri while remaining his manager, focusing instead on commercial matters ahead of the 2026 Formula 1 season. Former F1 driver David Coulthard described the change as a natural development after Webber helped guide Piastri into McLaren. Piastri finished third in the 2025 drivers' championship behind Lando Norris and Max Verstappen.

In the latest season of Netflix's Drive to Survive, former Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has denied any involvement from Max Verstappen's camp in his 2025 dismissal and instead pointed to advisor Helmut Marko as a key influence. Horner described the sudden departure as a profound loss after two decades with the team. The series, released on February 27, 2026, details the internal shifts at Red Bull following the death of founder Dietrich Mateschitz.

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي

Mercedes has named Bradley Lord as its deputy Formula 1 team principal to support Toto Wolff. The appointment formalizes responsibilities that have grown organically during Lord's 13-year tenure with the team. Wolff stated that his own responsibilities will not change.

 

 

 

يستخدم هذا الموقع ملفات تعريف الارتباط

نستخدم ملفات تعريف الارتباط للتحليلات لتحسين موقعنا. اقرأ سياسة الخصوصية الخاصة بنا سياسة الخصوصية لمزيد من المعلومات.
رفض