Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim expressing doubt at a press conference about FIFA sanctions on Malaysian football players and association.
Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim expressing doubt at a press conference about FIFA sanctions on Malaysian football players and association.
صورة مولدة بواسطة الذكاء الاصطناعي

Tunku Ismail doubts FIFA will overturn Malaysia player sanctions

صورة مولدة بواسطة الذكاء الاصطناعي

Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim expressed skepticism that FIFA will reverse sanctions on Malaysia's football association and seven naturalized players for eligibility violations. Speaking at a press conference on October 25, 2025, in Petaling Jaya, he emphasized shared responsibility across FAM and questioned the origins of the complaint. The penalties include one-year player suspensions and a fine of about RM1.8 million on FAM.

Johor Darul Ta’zim owner and former Football Association of Malaysia president Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim addressed the ongoing FIFA controversy over seven heritage players during a press conference on Saturday in Petaling Jaya. He stated that he does not expect FIFA to overturn its ruling, though penalties might be lightened.

“I don’t think FIFA will change its decision. At most, the penalty might be lightened. They could impose fines, deduct points from Harimau Malaya, or suspend the players involved,” Tunku Ismail said, as reported by multiple outlets including New Straits Times and The Star.

The sanctions stem from FIFA's finding that documents submitted for player eligibility contained false information, leading to one-year suspensions for Rodrigo Holgado, Imanol Machuca, Joao Figueiredo, Jon Irazabal, Hector Hevel, Facundo Garcés, and Gabriel Palmero. FAM was fined 350,000 Swiss francs, approximately RM1.8 million, with additional fines on the players bringing the total near RM2 million.

Tunku Ismail stressed collective accountability at FAM, disagreeing with the suspension of general secretary Noor Azman Rahman. “I don’t agree with Noor Azman’s suspension. In fact, many people were involved in signing these players. To me, everyone should take responsibility, including the (Harimau Malaya squad) CEO and those in management,” he said.

He noted that agents presented a list of 27 or 28 players last year, with only seven clearing checks by FAM and the national registration department, which he approved without reviewing every detail. Tunku Ismail defended the players' status, calling FIFA's action 'strange' since the Asian Football Confederation confirmed no complaint came from the Vietnam Football Federation.

“To say the players forged isn’t true at all. They are Malaysians, and that’s in our constitution,” he added, attributing any issues to administrative errors rather than forgery. FAM is appealing the decision, with a ruling expected by October 30, and plans to continue legal efforts regardless of the outcome.

مقالات ذات صلة

Erick Thohir, PSSI Chairman, speaking passionately against racism in youth football at a press conference.
صورة مولدة بواسطة الذكاء الاصطناعي

Erick Thohir affirms no place for racism in youth football

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي صورة مولدة بواسطة الذكاء الاصطناعي

PSSI Chairman Erick Thohir condemned racism following an incident in the Elite Pro Academy U-20 involving Bhayangkara FC's Fadly Alberto. The player claimed to be a victim of racial slurs before kicking Dewa United's Rakha Nurkholis. Erick stressed the need for early character building in young players.

Football's world governing body FIFA has imposed a 12-month ban on seven naturalized players for Malaysia's national team over alleged use of invalid documents. The ruling disrupts preparations for a crucial qualifier against Vietnam on March 31, 2026, in the 2027 Asian Cup qualifiers. Malaysian football legend Datuk Jamal Nasir has criticized the Football Association of Malaysia for lacking transparency.

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي

Ivan Toney has accused referees in the Saudi Pro League of favoring Cristiano Ronaldo and Al-Nassr. The Al-Ahli forward made the claims after his team's 1-1 draw with Al-Fayha, where two penalties were denied. Al-Ahli sits four points behind league leaders Al-Nassr.

FIFA has launched a disciplinary procedure on Tuesday against the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) over the “Musulmán el que no bote” chants during the Spain-Egypt friendly in Cornellà. The referee recorded the incidents and the RFEF activated anti-violence protocols. The Spanish federation will send a full dossier to FIFA in coming days.

يستخدم هذا الموقع ملفات تعريف الارتباط

نستخدم ملفات تعريف الارتباط للتحليلات لتحسين موقعنا. اقرأ سياسة الخصوصية الخاصة بنا سياسة الخصوصية لمزيد من المعلومات.
رفض