CAF President Patrice Motsepe speaks at press conference rejecting FIFA influence claims on AFCON schedule ahead of Morocco-Senegal final.
CAF President Patrice Motsepe speaks at press conference rejecting FIFA influence claims on AFCON schedule ahead of Morocco-Senegal final.
Billede genereret af AI

CAF president rejects FIFA influence claims on AFCON schedule change

Billede genereret af AI

On the eve of the Africa Cup of Nations final between Morocco and Senegal, CAF president Patrice Motsepe defended the decision to shift the tournament to every four years after 2028. He rejected accusations of undue FIFA influence and announced plans for an African Nations League in 2029. Meanwhile, FIFA officials praised the high quality of the ongoing AFCON 2025.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) announced last month its plan to move the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) from a biennial to a quadrennial schedule starting after 2028, a decision that sparked widespread criticism. Several African football figures alleged it was imposed by FIFA, whose president Gianni Infantino had advocated for a four-year cycle six years earlier. Speaking at a press conference in Rabat on January 17, 2026, ahead of the AFCON 2025 final between hosts Morocco and Senegal, CAF president Patrice Motsepe firmly rejected these claims of external pressure from Zurich.

"We didn’t do as good a job at CAF in preparing the ground on this Afcon every four years. We must make sure that our everyday people, who we account to, must understand what we have done is good for them," Motsepe said. He emphasized the benefits for African football, stating, "This is the right decision. We will indeed have a new competition, and it will be enormously successful. African football will be better." Motsepe also called for greater African confidence, independent of influences from bodies like FIFA or UEFA, and stressed the need to educate stakeholders about the changes.

Historically, the biennial AFCON provided around 80 percent of CAF's budget through revenue. However, Motsepe noted that AFCON revenues are now significantly lower than those projected for the new African Nations League, set to launch in 2029. "We are absolutely convinced it will work."

In related developments, FIFA Chief of Global Football Development Arsène Wenger praised the tournament's intensity during a workshop with the Technical Study Group in Rabat on January 16. "The intensity was very high. The mental attitude of all the teams was very strong, and the physical level was absolutely unbelievable," he said, highlighting the narrow quality gaps among teams and the rise of African coaches leading the semi-finalists. Wenger commended the finalists' technical maturity and the TSG's analytical work.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino also sent a message commending both teams for their impressive runs to the final, scheduled for January 18 at the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium in Rabat.

Hvad folk siger

X users have mixed reactions to CAF President Patrice Motsepe's rejection of FIFA influence claims regarding the AFCON schedule change to every four years after 2028 and the announcement of an African Nations League in 2029. Supporters applaud his firm stance against an 'inferiority complex' and highlight potential revenue increases. Critics, including figures like Egypt coach Hossam Hassan and African legends, argue it prioritizes European clubs and undermines African football development.

Relaterede artikler

Dramatic illustration of CAF awarding AFCON 2025 to Morocco after disqualifying Senegal, with players refusing medals amid controversy.
Billede genereret af AI

CAF strips Senegal of AFCON 2025 title, awards Morocco victory; Lions appeal to CAS as players refuse medals

Rapporteret af AI Billede genereret af AI

CAF has disqualified Senegal from the AFCON 2025 title after a controversial final walk-off against host Morocco, declaring a 3-0 forfeit win for the Atlas Lions. Senegal's federation will challenge the ruling at the Court of Arbitration for Sport, while players including Idrissa Gueye refuse to return medals. The government demands an independent probe into the decision and potential corruption.

Morocco has been declared the champion of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations following a Confederation of African Football decision to overturn their 1-0 final defeat to Senegal. CAF ruled that Senegal forfeited the match by refusing to play after a penalty was awarded to the hosts. The result is now recorded as a 3-0 win for Morocco.

Rapporteret af AI

The Confédération Africaine de Football (CAF) has announced sweeping reforms to its statutes and regulations to strengthen football governance across Africa. President Patrice Motsepe said the changes aim to prevent controversies like those in the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations finals. The reforms draw from global best practices and input from top legal experts.

Dette websted bruger cookies

Vi bruger cookies til analyse for at forbedre vores side. Læs vores privatlivspolitik for mere information.
Afvis