Illustration of Egypt and Iran protesting Pride-themed plans for 2026 World Cup match at Seattle's Lumen Field.
Illustration of Egypt and Iran protesting Pride-themed plans for 2026 World Cup match at Seattle's Lumen Field.
Bild generiert von KI

Egypt and Iran object to Pride-themed plans for 2026 World Cup match in Seattle

Bild generiert von KI
Fakten geprüft

Egypt and Iran have asked FIFA to block LGBTQ+ Pride-related activities linked to their 2026 World Cup group match in Seattle, arguing the plans clash with their cultural and religious values. The two nations, where same-sex relations are criminalised or harshly punished, have formally protested a locally branded “Pride Match” scheduled for June 26 at Lumen Field, which coincides with Seattle’s Pride weekend.

The 2026 FIFA World Cup draw, held last week, placed Egypt and Iran together in Group G and scheduled them to meet on 26 June at Lumen Field in Seattle, Washington.

Local organisers in Seattle had previously designated the fixture as a "Pride Match" to coincide with the city’s annual Pride weekend, planning celebrations and artwork to highlight LGBTQIA+ communities. The initiative is organised by the local Seattle committee and Pride groups and is not affiliated with or officially endorsed by FIFA.

In response, the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) said it had sent a formal letter to FIFA Secretary-General Mattias Grafström "categorically rejecting" any activities related to supporting homosexuality during the game. The federation wrote that such activities "directly conflict with the cultural, religious and social values in the region, especially in Arab and Islamic societies," and urged FIFA to ensure the match is played in an atmosphere focused solely on sport.

“In order to ensure that the match is held in an atmosphere of respect and focus on the sporting aspect only, the Egyptian Federation categorically rejects these invitations and demands FIFA not to hold any events or offers related to (homosexuality) support events within the stadium on the day of the match,” the EFA said, according to statements reported by multiple outlets.

Iran’s Football Federation has echoed those concerns. Its president, Mehdi Taj, was quoted by Iranian state media and international news organisations as saying: “Both Egypt and we have objected, because this is an unreasonable and illogical move that essentially signals support for a particular group, and we must definitely address this point.” Taj has said Iran will raise the issue at an upcoming FIFA Council meeting in Qatar.

Both countries apply strict laws against same-sex relations. In Iran, homosexuality is illegal and can be punishable by death under the penal code. In Egypt, same-sex conduct is not explicitly outlawed but is frequently prosecuted under broadly worded morality and "debauchery" provisions, according to organisations such as Human Rights Watch.

Seattle’s local World Cup organisers and Pride groups have said their plans focus on citywide celebrations and activities around the stadium, rather than on-field presentations during the match. They have framed the event as a way to showcase Seattle’s diverse communities and to promote inclusion during the tournament, while acknowledging that FIFA retains control over what happens inside the stadium on match day.

The dispute recalls the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, when FIFA threatened sporting sanctions against several European teams that planned to wear the “OneLove” armband in support of LGBTQ+ rights, prompting those sides to abandon the gesture.

FIFA has not yet publicly commented on the complaints lodged by Egypt and Iran or on how, if at all, Pride-related programming around the Seattle match might be affected.

Was die Leute sagen

X discussions highlight the irony of Egypt and Iran facing off in Seattle's pre-designated Pride Match for the 2026 World Cup, sparking amusement and mockery over cultural clashes; supporters defend the event's focus on unity despite objections, while reports detail formal protests citing FIFA's political neutrality; sentiments include conservative criticism, pro-LGBTQ advocacy, and neutral news sharing.

Verwandte Artikel

Dramatic illustration of an Iranian soccer player at a US-hosted 2026 World Cup stadium, symbolizing participation doubts amid US-Iran tensions and travel bans.
Bild generiert von KI

Irans Teilnahme an der WM 2026 durch US-Konflikt unsicher

Von KI berichtet Bild generiert von KI

Die eskalierenden Spannungen zwischen den Vereinigten Staaten und dem Iran, einschließlich jüngster Militärschläge, lassen die Beteiligung Irans an der FIFA-WM 2026 unsicher erscheinen. Der Präsident des iranischen Fußballverbands hat Zweifel an der Teilnahme geäußert, während FIFA-Regeln potenzielle Sanktionen bei einem Rückzug umreißen. Das Turnier, das gemeinsam in Nordamerika ausgetragen wird, umfasst Gruppenphase-Spiele Irans in US-Städten trotz eines Reiseverbots für Iraner.

Die Fifa hat mitgeteilt, dass sie die Entwicklungen nach US- und israelischen Luftangriffen auf den Iran beobachtet, mit dem Schwerpunkt, sicherzustellen, dass alle Teams sicher am WM-Turnier 2026 teilnehmen. Der Iran, gelost in Gruppe G, steht vor potenziellen Visum- und Reisehürden inmitten zunehmender Spannungen. Der Präsident des iranischen Fußballverbands deutete an, dass eine Teilnahme nun unwahrscheinlich ist.

Von KI berichtet

Eine Woche nach US- und israelischen Angriffen auf den Iran hat Präsident Donald Trump die Bedenken hinsichtlich der Teilnahme Irans an der in den USA ausgerichteten FIFA-WM 2026 heruntergespielt, während der eskalierende Konflikt den Trainer des Irak strandete und Visa für ihr interkontinentales Play-off in Mexiko erschwerte. Die FIFA gelobt, die sichere Teilnahme aller Teams zu überwachen.

With Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei's death now confirmed in ongoing US-Iran conflict, Iran's 2026 FIFA World Cup participation—already in doubt after initial strikes—is increasingly uncertain. All group matches are set in the US, prompting FIFA to monitor closely without detailed contingencies.

Von KI berichtet

Mit noch 100 Tagen bis zum Start der FIFA-Weltmeisterschaft 2026 am 11. Juni rüsten die Gastgeberstädte in Nordamerika die Vorbereitungen hoch inmitten wachsender Begeisterung. Zu den Feierlichkeiten gehörte die Beleuchtung des Empire State Building in den Farben der Flaggen der Vereinigten Staaten, Kanadas und Mexikos. Allerdings werfen geopolitische Spannungen und logistische Herausforderungen Unsicherheit über das Turnier.

Diese Website verwendet Cookies

Wir verwenden Cookies für Analysen, um unsere Website zu verbessern. Lesen Sie unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie für weitere Informationen.
Ablehnen