Congress preserves most of NASA's science funding for 2026

Congress has approved a budget that largely spares NASA's science programs from deep cuts proposed by the White House. The plan allocates $24.4 billion to the agency overall, with only a 1 percent reduction in science funding to $7.25 billion. This outcome follows months of uncertainty sparked by the Trump administration's initial proposals.

In June 2025, the White House proposed a fiscal year 2026 budget that would have slashed NASA's science funding by nearly 50 percent. By July, the Trump administration instructed leaders of dozens of space science missions to prepare closure plans for their spacecraft, raising alarms in the scientific community.

Congress, however, intervened decisively. Throughout the summer and fall, lawmakers signaled their intent to protect most of NASA's science portfolio, halting preliminary shutdown efforts. On January 5, 2026, as part of the congressional conferencing process, a $24.4 billion budget for NASA emerged, limiting science funding cuts to just 1 percent, or $7.25 billion.

"This is, frankly, better than I could have expected," said Casey Dreier, chief of space policy at The Planetary Society, which opposed the initial cuts. "There’s very little to not like in this."

The budget does not reverse prior workforce reductions, including a 2025 voluntary buyout program and broader federal efficiency efforts under the Department of Government Efficiency. Dreier highlighted the wasted effort: "Those hours could have been spent running and analyzing data from these valuable missions. It created a lot of needless friction and churn at a time when NASA is being told it must remain competitive with China and other nations in space."

The House of Representatives is expected to vote on the Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies bill this week, with the Senate following next. President Trump is anticipated to sign it, effective immediately for the fiscal year that began October 1, 2025.

One notable loss is the Mars Sample Return mission, which aimed to bring Martian rocks back to Earth but faced a projected $10 billion cost and uncertain timeline. The budget states it does not support the existing program, though it allocates $110 million for a new "Mars Future Missions" initiative focused on technologies like radar and landing systems. These capabilities are deemed essential for future science and human exploration of the Moon and Mars.

Positive notes include continued funding for the DAVINCI probe to Venus, $10 million for Uranus orbiter studies, and $150 million toward the Habitable Worlds Observatory, a telescope to detect life on Earth-like exoplanets.

संबंधित लेख

Conceptual illustration of NASA's $20B Ignition moon base on lunar surface, highlighting shift from canceled Lunar Gateway amid Artemis program.
AI द्वारा उत्पन्न छवि

NASA cancels Lunar Gateway to prioritize $20B moon base under Ignition plan

AI द्वारा रिपोर्ट किया गया AI द्वारा उत्पन्न छवि

NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman announced the Ignition initiative on March 24, canceling the Lunar Gateway orbiting station to focus on a $20 billion three-phase moon base on the lunar surface. The shift, echoing Trump administration budget proposals, supports frequent Artemis crewed landings amid competition from China and preparations for the first crewed Artemis mission with a launch window opening April 1.

President Donald Trump unveiled a budget blueprint calling for a 23 percent reduction in NASA's funding for fiscal year 2027, shortly after the agency launched its first crewed lunar mission in over 50 years. The proposal requests $18.8 billion, down $5.6 billion from the prior year, prioritizing Moon landings and a lunar base. Congress rejected a similar cut last year.

AI द्वारा रिपोर्ट किया गया

Congress restored billions in federal research funding earlier in 2026 after cuts proposed by the Trump administration. Watchdogs and former NIH officials now claim the administration is using new tactics to delay or withhold the money. Scientists report severe impacts on their work, including layoffs and halted projects.

NASA has announced major changes to its Artemis program, shifting away from a lunar landing for the next mission in favor of incremental testing steps. The adjustments aim to increase launch frequency and reduce risks following recent setbacks. Officials hope this will lead to moon landings by 2028.

AI द्वारा रिपोर्ट किया गया

NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman told lawmakers that SpaceX and Blue Origin expect their lunar landers to be ready for the Artemis III mission in late 2027. The mission will now test the landers in Earth orbit rather than attempting a lunar landing. This change aims to reduce risks and increase launch frequency.

The Japanese government approved an 8.56 trillion yen stopgap budget on March 27 to fund operations for the first 11 days of fiscal 2026 starting April 1, due to stalled upper house deliberations on the main 122.31 trillion yen budget passed by the lower house earlier this month. This is the first such provisional measure in 11 years, backed by ruling and main opposition parties, and expected to pass parliament on March 30.

यह वेबसाइट कुकीज़ का उपयोग करती है

हम अपनी साइट को बेहतर बनाने के लिए विश्लेषण के लिए कुकीज़ का उपयोग करते हैं। अधिक जानकारी के लिए हमारी गोपनीयता नीति पढ़ें।
अस्वीकार करें