South Korea seeks UNC consultation to reopen DMZ border trails

South Korea's unification ministry announced on January 22 that it will seek consultations with the U.N. Command (UNC) to reopen three shuttered sections of the DMZ Peace Trail inside the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). This move aligns with President Lee Jae-myung's government's efforts to restore trust with North Korea. However, objections from the U.S.-led UNC are anticipated.

On January 22, 2026, South Korea's unification ministry stated it will pursue consultations with the U.N. Command (UNC) to reopen three closed trail sections in Paju, Cheorwon, and Goseong within the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). These sections are part of the DMZ Peace Trail, launched in 2019 with 11 routes along border areas like Gimpo, Paju, and Yeoncheon, offering public access to otherwise restricted forests and security sites.

The segments were shuttered in April 2024 due to heightened tensions with North Korea on national security grounds. "The government is pushing to restore three sectors of the DMZ Peace Trail, which are situated within the DMZ," a unification ministry official said.

The announcement followed Unification Minister Chung Dong-young's visit to a closed section in Goseong on January 21, where he reaffirmed his commitment. "I will make efforts to have the Peace Trail reclaim its full course by reopening the (closed) sections within the DMZ, in line with the Lee Jae-myung government's measures to preemptively restore trust (with North Korea)," Chung said during the trip.

Reopening the sections this year forms part of the ministry's policy plans reported to President Lee last month. The plan may encounter resistance from the U.S.-led UNC, which enforces the 1950-53 Korean War armistice on the southern side. The official noted that the ministry intends to proceed via consultations with the UNC, stressing that the military-focused armistice does not bar peaceful DMZ uses.

関連記事

South Korean Unification Minister Chung Dong-young at podium, regretting North Korea Kusong nuclear leak mention amid US tensions.
AIによって生成された画像

韓国統一部長官、北朝鮮の亀城核施設への言及をめぐる情報漏洩批判に遺憾を表明

AIによるレポート AIによって生成された画像

韓国の丁世鉉(チョン・ドンヨン)統一部長官は、北朝鮮の亀城(クソン)地域を核施設として言及したことが機密情報の漏洩にあたるという批判に対し、遺憾の意を表明した。同氏は先月の国会において政策説明の一環としてこの発言を行っていたが、米国側からは苦情が寄せられ、北朝鮮に関する衛星情報の共有が停止される事態となっていた。

韓国政府は4月1日、非武装地帯(DMZ)周辺の平和をテーマにしたウォーキングルート全12コースを、今年度のプログラムとして再開すると発表した。文化体育観光省によると、「DMZ平和の道」は4月17日から11月30日まで運営されるが、夏季の猛暑のため7月と8月は一時中断される。利用は韓国国民に限定されている。

AIによるレポート

国連軍(UNC)のスコット・ウィンター副司令官は、南北を隔てる非武装地帯(DMZ)の管理と利用に関するいかなる変更についても慎重を期すべきだと訴えた。同氏は休戦協定を「実証済みの枠組み」と表現し、これを損なうような動きに警鐘を鳴らした。この発言は、米主導の国連軍が、軍事緩衝地帯の平和利用を推進する法案に反対する中でなされたものである。

The White House stated on Thursday that U.S. President Donald Trump remains open to dialogue with North Korea without any preconditions. This comes after North Korean leader Kim Jong-un expressed willingness to talk if the U.S. drops its "hostile" policy during a recent key party congress. Both sides highlighted three historic summits during Trump's first term that stabilized the Korean Peninsula.

AIによるレポート

Foreign Minister Cho Hyun announced on March 6 that a South Korean delegation plans to visit the United States to discuss rights for uranium enrichment and spent fuel reprocessing. This follows delays due to the Middle East war and stems from security cooperation agreed upon after last year's summit between Presidents Lee Jae Myung and Donald Trump. The talks aim to adjust the existing civil nuclear agreement.

このウェブサイトはCookieを使用します

サイトを改善するための分析にCookieを使用します。詳細については、プライバシーポリシーをお読みください。
拒否