South Korea seeks UNC consultation to reopen DMZ border trails

South Korea's unification ministry announced on January 22 that it will seek consultations with the U.N. Command (UNC) to reopen three shuttered sections of the DMZ Peace Trail inside the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). This move aligns with President Lee Jae-myung's government's efforts to restore trust with North Korea. However, objections from the U.S.-led UNC are anticipated.

On January 22, 2026, South Korea's unification ministry stated it will pursue consultations with the U.N. Command (UNC) to reopen three closed trail sections in Paju, Cheorwon, and Goseong within the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). These sections are part of the DMZ Peace Trail, launched in 2019 with 11 routes along border areas like Gimpo, Paju, and Yeoncheon, offering public access to otherwise restricted forests and security sites.

The segments were shuttered in April 2024 due to heightened tensions with North Korea on national security grounds. "The government is pushing to restore three sectors of the DMZ Peace Trail, which are situated within the DMZ," a unification ministry official said.

The announcement followed Unification Minister Chung Dong-young's visit to a closed section in Goseong on January 21, where he reaffirmed his commitment. "I will make efforts to have the Peace Trail reclaim its full course by reopening the (closed) sections within the DMZ, in line with the Lee Jae-myung government's measures to preemptively restore trust (with North Korea)," Chung said during the trip.

Reopening the sections this year forms part of the ministry's policy plans reported to President Lee last month. The plan may encounter resistance from the U.S.-led UNC, which enforces the 1950-53 Korean War armistice on the southern side. The official noted that the ministry intends to proceed via consultations with the UNC, stressing that the military-focused armistice does not bar peaceful DMZ uses.

Artículos relacionados

South Korean Unification Minister Chung Dong-young at podium, regretting North Korea Kusong nuclear leak mention amid US tensions.
Imagen generada por IA

El ministro de Unificación lamenta las acusaciones de filtración por la mención de la instalación nuclear de Kusong en Corea del Norte

Reportado por IA Imagen generada por IA

El ministro de Unificación de Corea del Sur, Chung Dong-young, expresó su pesar por las acusaciones de que su mención de la región de Kusong en Corea del Norte como emplazamiento de una instalación nuclear constituyó una filtración de información. Hizo el comentario durante una sesión parlamentaria el mes pasado para explicar su política. Estados Unidos se ha quejado y ha dejado de compartir información satelital sobre Corea del Norte.

El gobierno de Corea del Sur anunció el 1 de abril que reabrirá las 12 rutas de senderismo con temática de paz cerca de la Zona Desmilitarizada (DMZ) para el programa de este año. El Ministerio de Cultura, Deportes y Turismo indicó que el Camino de la Paz de la DMZ operará del 17 de abril al 30 de noviembre, con una suspensión temporal en julio y agosto debido al calor del verano. El acceso está limitado a ciudadanos surcoreanos.

Reportado por IA

El teniente general Scott Winter, subcomandante del Mando de las Naciones Unidas (UNC), instó a la prudencia ante cualquier cambio en el control y uso de la Zona Desmilitarizada (DMZ) que separa a las dos Coreas. Calificó el armisticio como un "marco probado" y advirtió contra su debilitamiento. Estas declaraciones se producen mientras el UNC, liderado por Estados Unidos, se opone a proyectos de ley que promueven el uso pacífico de la zona de amortiguamiento militar.

The White House stated on Thursday that U.S. President Donald Trump remains open to dialogue with North Korea without any preconditions. This comes after North Korean leader Kim Jong-un expressed willingness to talk if the U.S. drops its "hostile" policy during a recent key party congress. Both sides highlighted three historic summits during Trump's first term that stabilized the Korean Peninsula.

Reportado por IA

El ministro de Exteriores Cho Hyun anunció el 6 de marzo que una delegación surcoreana planea visitar Estados Unidos para discutir derechos sobre el enriquecimiento de uranio y el reprocesamiento de combustible gastado. Esto sigue a retrasos causados por la guerra en Oriente Medio y proviene de la cooperación en materia de seguridad acordada tras la cumbre del año pasado entre los presidentes Lee Jae Myung y Donald Trump. Las conversaciones buscan ajustar el acuerdo nuclear civil existente.

Este sitio web utiliza cookies

Utilizamos cookies para análisis con el fin de mejorar nuestro sitio. Lee nuestra política de privacidad para más información.
Rechazar