Last of Us multiplayer game reached 80 percent completion before cancellation

Vinit Agarwal, former director of the cancelled Last of Us multiplayer game, revealed that the project was about 80 percent complete when Naughty Dog axed it roughly three years ago. In an interview with Lance E. Lee, Agarwal described the decision as stemming from a post-COVID decline in online gaming and a choice to prioritize single-player titles led by studio president Neil Druckmann. He called the cancellation soul-crushing after seven years of work.

Naughty Dog cancelled its planned Last of Us multiplayer game in early 2023 to redirect resources toward signature single-player narrative projects, including the upcoming PS5 title Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet. Agarwal, who has since left the studio to found a new one in Japan, shared these details during Lance E. Lee's LelPodcast. He noted that Sony heavily invested in online games like this one around 2020 amid the COVID-19 pandemic, when player numbers surged as people stayed home. The game was performing well internally and reached roughly 80 percent completion, Agarwal said.

Связанные статьи

Illustrative image of a PS5 console with exclusive games like Ghost of Yotei and Saros behind a locked gate blocking PCs, symbolizing Sony's decision to halt single-player PC ports.
Изображение, созданное ИИ

Sony halts PC ports for first-party single-player PlayStation games

Сообщено ИИ Изображение, созданное ИИ

Sony Interactive Entertainment has abandoned plans to release current and future first-party single-player PlayStation games on PC, according to a Bloomberg report. Titles including last year's Ghost of Yotei and the upcoming Saros—a Returnal successor set for April 30—will stay exclusive to PS5, while multiplayer games like Marathon (launching tomorrow on PS5 and PC) and Marvel Tokon continue multi-platform. This reverses six years of ports since Horizon Zero Dawn.

Vinit Agarwal, former director of Naughty Dog's axed The Last of Us multiplayer game, promised on social media that no future project of his will face cancellation. He highlighted ongoing praise from ex-team members calling it their best multiplayer ever, and thanked the Last of Us community for support.

Сообщено ИИ

Neil Druckmann, head of Naughty Dog, shared early 2003 sketches of Joel and Ellie on Instagram, hinting at 'a few stops' remaining in The Last of Us series. The post reflects on the franchise's journey since its origins as a game pitch about a man, his surrogate daughter, and a trek across post-apocalyptic America. Druckmann has previously discussed concepts for a potential third entry.

Sony has decided to stop releasing its biggest PlayStation 5 single-player narrative games on PC, PlayStation Studios CEO Hermen Hulst told staff during a May 18 town hall. The shift, first reported in March, begins with titles such as Ghost of Yōtei and Saros.

Сообщено ИИ

One day after Sony Interactive Entertainment announced the shutdown of its year-old PlayStation studio Dark Outlaw Games, founder Jason Blundell and former level designer JCbackfire discussed the closure on a Twitch stream. They mourned the promising early-stage project—which was not a live-service game—while expressing no ill will toward Sony amid its strategic shifts.

Filming for the third season of HBO's The Last of Us adaptation is currently underway, with showrunner Craig Mazin sharing insights on the shift to Abby's story.

Сообщено ИИ

Bluepoint Games proposed a remake of Bloodborne to Sony after its God of War project was cancelled, but FromSoftware rejected the idea. The rejection aligns with theories that the game's director prefers to keep it untouched by others. Sony's decision contributed to Bluepoint's closure amid doubts about its original game capabilities.

 

 

 

Этот сайт использует куки

Мы используем куки для анализа, чтобы улучшить наш сайт. Прочитайте нашу политику конфиденциальности для дополнительной информации.
Отклонить