DFA clarifies limited scope of PH-China coast guard MOU

Chinese Ambassador Jing Quan stated that the text of a Philippine-China coast guard cooperation agreement is 95% complete. The Department of Foreign Affairs clarified that amendments are limited to formalizing communication between the two coast guards. No cooperation in sensitive areas like joint patrols is contemplated.

Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Jing Quan told the Rotary Club of Manila on March 19 that the text of a cooperation agreement between the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and China Coast Guard (CCG) was "95% complete." He anticipated finalization during the bilateral consultation mechanism (BCM) held in Quanzhou the last week of March. Quan suggested cooperation in search and rescue operations, environmental protection, and trash collection.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) issued a statement providing context: The PCG and CCG signed an MOU in 2016 establishing a Joint Coast Guard Committee for Maritime Cooperation. Discussions to amend it began in 2024, limited to re-establishing the committee as a formalized communication channel. "The MOU does not contemplate cooperation in sensitive operational areas, joint patrols foremost among them," the DFA said. Spokesperson Rogelio Villanueva Jr. added, "MOU focuses on formalizing communication mechanisms between PCG and CCG. Details are still under discussion."

No finalized MOU was announced after the latest BCM. Negotiations occur through diplomatic channels and have been reported to principals including the National Security Adviser, Foreign Affairs Secretary, and PCG commandant.

The 2016 MOU led to goodwill ship visits and joint drills under the Duterte administration, including a CCG visit to Manila in January 2020. However, the established hotline failed, as shown by no response during the CCG's blocking of a PCG resupply mission to Ayungin Shoal in August 2023.

Verwandte Artikel

The Philippine Coast Guard has distanced itself from a supposed maritime cooperation deal with China, including joint patrols in the West Philippine Sea, as announced by the Chinese ambassador. Rear Admiral Jay Tarriela said the PCG is not involved in crafting such plans. Tensions persist following incidents involving Chinese forces.

Von KI berichtet

Following bilateral meetings in Quanzhou on March 27-28, the Philippines and China advanced practical measures in the South China Sea, including initial exchanges on oil and gas exploration, amid efforts to manage disputes and boost confidence-building. The talks, previewed amid global energy concerns, pave the way for higher-level discussions later this year.

A lawmaker has called for Congress to investigate reports of signal jamming affecting Philippine Coast Guard and fisheries vessels near Panatag Shoal in the West Philippine Sea. Bicol Saro party-list Rep. Terry Ridon emphasized the need to assess impacts on fisherfolk and maritime safety. The push follows a statement by PCG Commodore Jay Tarriela about an incident on February 24.

Von KI berichtet

Malacañang assured Filipinos that the country's rights in the West Philippine Sea will be safeguarded, as Manila and Beijing began 'initial exchanges' on potential offshore oil and gas exploration.

Diese Website verwendet Cookies

Wir verwenden Cookies für Analysen, um unsere Website zu verbessern. Lesen Sie unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie für weitere Informationen.
Ablehnen