A government official reviewing USDA order to reverse full SNAP benefits, with elements symbolizing impact on families, for news article on Supreme Court stay.
A government official reviewing USDA order to reverse full SNAP benefits, with elements symbolizing impact on families, for news article on Supreme Court stay.
Bild generiert von KI

USDA orders states to undo full November SNAP payments after Supreme Court stay

Bild generiert von KI
Fakten geprüft

The Trump administration on Saturday, Nov. 8, directed states to reverse any steps taken to issue full Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits for November, following a U.S. Supreme Court administrative stay that paused a lower-court order requiring full payments.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture told states in a Saturday memorandum that any full SNAP payment files transmitted for November were “unauthorized” and must be unwound. The memo instructed agencies to notify their Food and Nutrition Service regional offices of corrective actions and warned that noncompliance could jeopardize federal administrative funding or leave states liable for overpayments, according to the department’s guidance.

USDA also reiterated that, unless directed otherwise, states should continue issuing partial benefits that reflect a 35% reduction from the maximum allotments, consistent with guidance circulated earlier in the week. The agency’s updated memo was issued after the Supreme Court granted the administration an administrative stay on Friday, Nov. 7, temporarily halting a Rhode Island district court order that required full November SNAP benefits. The stay remains in effect until the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rules on the administration’s broader request for relief, according to court filings and reporting by outlets including CBS News and the Washington Post.

SNAP, the nation’s largest anti-hunger program, serves about 42 million people. Funding for regular benefits lapsed on Nov. 1 amid the federal shutdown — the first such lapse in the program’s six-decade history — prompting emergency litigation in multiple courts. In recent days, the administration said it would use roughly $4.6–$4.7 billion from SNAP’s contingency reserve to fund partial November payments, while declining to tap other pots of money; Reuters and the Associated Press have reported that figure and context. Politico has reported that states were initially told to target roughly 65% of normal maximum benefits, which aligns with USDA’s stated 35% reduction from the maximum.

Several states began moving to issue full benefits after the district court ruling, including Massachusetts and New Jersey, before the Supreme Court’s administrative stay. USDA’s Saturday memo now directs those states to reverse such actions, Reuters reported.

The directive comes as the shutdown reached its 40th day on Sunday, Nov. 9, with the Senate meeting over the weekend but showing limited progress toward a deal. The impasse has centered in part on Democratic efforts to extend Affordable Care Act premium subsidies, a point of contention highlighted in coverage by the Associated Press and Reuters.

The administration had previously argued it lacked legal authority to use certain reserve funds to cover regular SNAP benefits during the lapse — a position challenged by anti-hunger advocates and policy experts — before agreeing under court orders to deploy contingency reserves for partial payments. Full benefits would resume once Congress enacts funding to reopen the government.

Was die Leute sagen

Discussions on X about the USDA's order to reverse full November SNAP benefits following a Supreme Court stay are largely critical of the Trump administration, portraying the move as cruel and politically motivated amid the government shutdown. Users express outrage over potential harm to low-income families and children reliant on food assistance, while some highlight the legal uncertainties and administrative chaos. Neutral reports from news accounts detail the memo's directives and potential penalties for non-compliant states, with minimal positive or supportive sentiments observed.

Verwandte Artikel

Tucson residents line up at a food pantry for aid amid 2025 government shutdown SNAP benefit delays, as a journalist interviews a family.
Bild generiert von KI

Journalist in Tucson describes SNAP disruptions during the 2025 shutdown and the scramble for food aid

Von KI berichtet Bild generiert von KI Fakten geprüft

A Tucson-based investigative journalist who receives SNAP said Arizona warned in late October 2025 that November benefits could be delayed during a federal government shutdown tied to a dispute over expiring Affordable Care Act subsidies. Court orders and rapid legal appeals contributed to a shifting national patchwork of partial, delayed or restored payments, while food pantries and mutual-aid groups reported increased demand.

Republican lawmakers in several states are advancing reforms to close loopholes in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) that allow millionaires and others to qualify for benefits. Federal legislation passed in July 2025 requires states to cover more costs if error rates exceed 6% by 2028. Efforts aim to reduce waste as payment errors rise in many areas.

Von KI berichtet

Several states led by Massachusetts have filed a federal lawsuit against the Trump administration, alleging that the U.S. Department of Agriculture is imposing unconstitutional conditions on billions in funding for food programs and agricultural support. The suit claims these requirements, tied to immigration policies and opposition to diversity initiatives, hold critical aid hostage. New York Attorney General Letitia James joined the plaintiffs in condemning the move.

The US Supreme Court refused to let the Trump administration immediately revoke Temporary Protected Status for more than 350,000 immigrants from Haiti and Syria. With no noted dissents, the justices moved the cases to the merits docket for full briefing, oral arguments in April, and deliberation, while keeping protections in place. This approach follows prior dissents by Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson criticizing shadow docket use.

Von KI berichtet

Congress restored billions in federal research funding earlier in 2026 after cuts proposed by the Trump administration. Watchdogs and former NIH officials now claim the administration is using new tactics to delay or withhold the money. Scientists report severe impacts on their work, including layoffs and halted projects.

Diese Website verwendet Cookies

Wir verwenden Cookies für Analysen, um unsere Website zu verbessern. Lesen Sie unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie für weitere Informationen.
Ablehnen