New probe confirms Estonia was not seaworthy

A new accident investigation by three countries has concluded that MS Estonia sank due to structural flaws, not an explosion or collision. The vessel was unfit for Baltic Sea traffic owing to a chain of failures in regulations, construction, and inspections. Survivors have mixed reactions to the report.

On December 16, 2025, accident investigation commissions from Sweden, Estonia, and Finland released findings from a new probe into the 1994 sinking of MS Estonia. The report dismisses theories of explosion or collision, confirming instead that the ship struck the seabed, causing hull breaches. Latent structural flaws in construction, coupled with inadequate regulations and inspections, rendered Estonia unfit for Baltic Sea service.

Urban Lambertsson, a survivor who represented the bereaved during the inquiry, criticizes the conclusions for lacking depth. 'Not at any point has any responsibility whatsoever been expressed,' he says, questioning why the shipyard is not held accountable despite evident design flaws from the outset. He had hoped for clearer accountability.

The investigation was prompted by a 2020 TV documentary by Henrik Evertsson, which fueled conspiracy theories. Jonathan Lindström, who lost both parents in the disaster, welcomes the report. 'It has been agonizing years... Now I hope we can have peace,' he says, noting that the original JAIC inquiry had already clarified the cause. He believes conspiracists are now sidelined, and the findings bolster future safety measures.

Despite differing views, the affected agree the tragedy has left deep scars, and the report provides some closure even as questions of responsibility persist.

Makala yanayohusiana

A dramatic scene of a ship explosion in the Strait of Hormuz caused by unidentified flying objects.
Picha iliyoundwa na AI

South Korea concludes external strike caused explosion on HMM vessel in Hormuz

Imeripotiwa na AI Picha iliyoundwa na AI

A South Korean investigation has confirmed that two unidentified flying objects struck the HMM Namu in the Strait of Hormuz last Monday, causing an explosion and fire. The findings have prompted Seoul to review participation in a U.S.-led security initiative.

The classic boat Trio has sunk in Uppsala's Fyrisån despite a recent cleanup by the municipality. The vessel was emptied of hazardous materials before sinking, with no leaks observed so far. The city is investigating the cause and plans to refloat it.

Imeripotiwa na AI

The trial over the fatal construction elevator accident in Sundbyberg began today at Attunda District Court. Five construction workers died on December 11, 2023, when the elevator plummeted 30 meters due to four missing load-bearing screws. Two fitters and the company CEO are charged with gross work environment violations and causing death.

A woman in her 50s is being charged in connection with a serious traffic accident on E14 outside Sundsvall at the end of June 2024. Two people died and two were injured in the collision between a car and a minibus. The woman denies the charges.

Imeripotiwa na AI

Specialized Guardia Civil commanders have rejected Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska's account of the deaths of two officers at sea between Huelva and Cádiz. They state the patrol boat collision was not accidental but caused by a studied maneuver from the traffickers' boat.

A South Korean government team continued its on-site investigation on Saturday into the cause of the fire that struck the HMM Namu while the vessel was in the Strait of Hormuz earlier in the week.

Jumatatu, 11. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 03:38:36

Wreck of Havmanden to be examined again

Jumatatu, 11. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 02:04:13

Motorsport federation launches own probe after fatal crash

Jumatatu, 4. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 01:06:35

36 sailors stranded on three suspected Russian shadow ships off Trelleborg

Ijumaa, 3. Mwezi wa nne 2026, 12:49:58

Two crew members suspected after boarding of Flora 1

Ijumaa, 13. Mwezi wa tatu 2026, 08:41:50

Sea Owl I captain arrested in ongoing shadow fleet probe off Trelleborg

Alhamisi, 12. Mwezi wa tatu 2026, 03:35:56

Swedish coast guard boards tanker off Trelleborg

Alhamisi, 12. Mwezi wa tatu 2026, 02:33:47

LKAB admits error in reporting accidents

Jumatano, 11. Mwezi wa tatu 2026, 15:36:01

Mitsui O.S.K. Lines container ship found damaged in Persian Gulf

Jumapili, 8. Mwezi wa tatu 2026, 20:13:10

Families of Jeju Air crash victims protest additional remains discovery

Jumanne, 24. Mwezi wa pili 2026, 20:19:31

Convicted murderer dies in custody from accident

Tovuti hii inatumia vidakuzi

Tunatumia vidakuzi kwa uchambuzi ili kuboresha tovuti yetu. Soma sera ya faragha yetu kwa maelezo zaidi.
Kataa