New probe confirms Estonia was not seaworthy

A new accident investigation by three countries has concluded that MS Estonia sank due to structural flaws, not an explosion or collision. The vessel was unfit for Baltic Sea traffic owing to a chain of failures in regulations, construction, and inspections. Survivors have mixed reactions to the report.

On December 16, 2025, accident investigation commissions from Sweden, Estonia, and Finland released findings from a new probe into the 1994 sinking of MS Estonia. The report dismisses theories of explosion or collision, confirming instead that the ship struck the seabed, causing hull breaches. Latent structural flaws in construction, coupled with inadequate regulations and inspections, rendered Estonia unfit for Baltic Sea service.

Urban Lambertsson, a survivor who represented the bereaved during the inquiry, criticizes the conclusions for lacking depth. 'Not at any point has any responsibility whatsoever been expressed,' he says, questioning why the shipyard is not held accountable despite evident design flaws from the outset. He had hoped for clearer accountability.

The investigation was prompted by a 2020 TV documentary by Henrik Evertsson, which fueled conspiracy theories. Jonathan Lindström, who lost both parents in the disaster, welcomes the report. 'It has been agonizing years... Now I hope we can have peace,' he says, noting that the original JAIC inquiry had already clarified the cause. He believes conspiracists are now sidelined, and the findings bolster future safety measures.

Despite differing views, the affected agree the tragedy has left deep scars, and the report provides some closure even as questions of responsibility persist.

相关文章

A dramatic scene of a ship explosion in the Strait of Hormuz caused by unidentified flying objects.
AI 生成的图像

韩国得出结论:外部袭击导致HMM货轮在霍尔木兹海峡发生爆炸

由 AI 报道 AI 生成的图像

韩国一项调查证实,上周一有两枚不明飞行物击中了在霍尔木兹海峡航行的HMM Namu号货轮,引发爆炸和火灾。这一调查结果促使首尔重新评估其在美方主导的安全倡议中的参与情况。

The classic boat Trio has sunk in Uppsala's Fyrisån despite a recent cleanup by the municipality. The vessel was emptied of hazardous materials before sinking, with no leaks observed so far. The city is investigating the cause and plans to refloat it.

由 AI 报道

The trial over the fatal construction elevator accident in Sundbyberg began today at Attunda District Court. Five construction workers died on December 11, 2023, when the elevator plummeted 30 meters due to four missing load-bearing screws. Two fitters and the company CEO are charged with gross work environment violations and causing death.

A woman in her 50s is being charged in connection with a serious traffic accident on E14 outside Sundsvall at the end of June 2024. Two people died and two were injured in the collision between a car and a minibus. The woman denies the charges.

由 AI 报道

Specialized Guardia Civil commanders have rejected Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska's account of the deaths of two officers at sea between Huelva and Cádiz. They state the patrol boat collision was not accidental but caused by a studied maneuver from the traffickers' boat.

一支韩国政府团队周六继续对本周早些时候在霍尔木兹海峡发生火灾的HMM Namu号货轮进行现场调查。

此网站使用 cookie

我们使用 cookie 进行分析以改进我们的网站。阅读我们的 隐私政策 以获取更多信息。
拒绝