Build A Rocket Boy CEO addresses MindsEye's troubled launch

Mark Gerhard, CEO of Build A Rocket Boy, described the launch of the studio's shooter MindsEye as 'the worst launch in history.' He attributed many issues to sabotage and said the studio plans to share evidence in an upcoming multiplayer update. Gerhard also noted improving sales and reviews since the game's release last June.

Mark Gerhard, CEO and CTO of Build A Rocket Boy, spoke to GamesBeat about the rocky debut of MindsEye, the studio's AAA shooter that launched last June. 'We know we had, without doubt, the worst launch in history,' Gerhard said, acknowledging launch glitches while blaming much of the negativity on 'organised espionage and corporate sabotage.' The studio has faced layoffs following the release and earlier this year, which Gerhard linked to these troubles. He conceded that some issues were 'on us' but claimed a 'concerted effort' shaped a negative narrative, preventing the game from finding its community. The studio, founded in 2016 by former GTA producer Leslie Benzies, originally planned MindsEye as part of its Everywhere platform announced in 2022. Gerhard dismissed pre-launch criticism as financed by rivals and recent refund claims as exaggerated, insisting they fall 'within the norms for many games.' He stated that sales are now 'increasing organically, doubling almost weekly,' and the game is 'being very well-reviewed.' Gerhard revealed the studio holds 'very strong evidence' of interference, with parties identified and the matter handed to US and UK authorities. 'We'll leave them to do what they do,' he said. A forthcoming multiplayer update will introduce a new mission called Blacklist and a female playable character, while also sharing some sabotage evidence with players. The team aims to release tools for community content creation.

ተያያዥ ጽሁፎች

Build A Rocket Boy has announced further layoffs—the third round since MindsEye's launch—attributing them to industry woes and alleging organized espionage and sabotage. Co-CEO Mark Gerhard said the studio's investigation into these claims is progressing toward prosecution.

በAI የተዘገበ

Build a Rocket Boy, developer of the struggling open-world shooter MindsEye, has laid off roughly 170 of its 250 staff—its third round of redundancies in the past year—leaving around 80 employees, sources tell Kotaku. The cuts follow two prior rounds, the March 2026 closure of its French studio, and come amid poor reception to a recent Blacklist update.

At the London Games Festival's New Game Plus event, Devolver Digital executives Bridie Roman and Robbie Paterson shared cautious optimism about the indie sector. They emphasized sticking to core philosophies amid market unpredictability and highlighted both successes and flops. The discussion took place at the Wood Lane Generating Station amid indie developers seeking publishers and feedback.

በAI የተዘገበ

Sony has closed Dark Outlaw Games, a first-party studio founded in 2025 by former Call of Duty producer Jason Blundell, before it could announce its debut PlayStation title. Bloomberg's Jason Schreier reported the shutdown, which followed an internal announcement on Tuesday and aligns with broader PlayStation staff cuts, including mobile development teams, amid Sony's challenges with multiplayer and live-service games.

 

 

 

ይህ ድረ-ገጽ ኩኪዎችን ይጠቀማል

የእኛን ጣቢያ ለማሻሻል ለትንታኔ ኩኪዎችን እንጠቀማለን። የእኛን የሚስጥር ፖሊሲ አንብቡ የሚስጥር ፖሊሲ ለተጨማሪ መረጃ።
ውድቅ አድርግ